Thursday, January 23, 2014

15 Days!


It’s been an exciting week. Our Olympic Team was officially named, I had a good race in Poland on the weekend, we travelled to SeiserAlm for our pre-Olympic camp, I traded maple syrup to get my laundry done, and the amount of support brewing in my hometown has filled me up with energy!
Following Kikkanimal in our quarterfinal heat in Poland. Photo thanks to Nordic Focus.


Now almost the entire Olympic Team is here high in the Italian Dolomites putting the final touches on our shape before we head to Sochi. It is certainly one of my favourite places in the world to ski. I find myself losing my balance a lot more frequently than usual because I have a hard time staying focused on the ski trail. My eyes are constantly wandering, taking in the views of the impressive walls and spires that surround us.
Best skate ski yet this year, following Em Nish up the hill.
  I’m really excited to be a part of this team heading into Sochi, I can’t wait to share this experience with my teammates, and all of our dedicated staff who have worked their tails off for us in the last four years.
I also am now sporting the Mississippi Mills logo on my racing suit, and training jackets. I think I was supposed to wait for the fundraising campaign in Almonte to be over, but I couldn’t. I come from the best community I could ever ask for. It seems like every day I wake up to an encouraging note from someone at home. If I could give the whole town a hug I would, but for now I’m thousands of kilometres away, but feeling the love as if I were walking right down main street to Baker Bob’s.  Every time I put on a piece of training gear I am reminded of how incredibly lucky I am to come from such a great community. So thank you kindly to everyone, especially Jane Torrance, I can’t wait to come home in the Spring and share my Sochi experience with you all!
Joel and I and a very blue sky! Notice the Mississippi Mills logo keeping my right bicep warm!
As I continue to train up here in paradise for another week, I'm getting ready to tune into the action down in Val di Fiemme at the World Jr and U23 Championships. We've got a solid crew of Nakkertok athletes over here racing in the coming weeks. I'm so proud of our club we have come a long way in the last ten years, although we will be racing in the Canada colours, we started out in green and yellow! The coach there these days must be doing something right ;)
I'm wishing everyone at Easterns coming up good luck, I'm sure it will be a fun filled weekend. Be sure to stop by the SchoolBOX coffee stand and buy a few cups of coffee because first of all its awesome coffee from Equator in Almonte, and second of all it supports our Skiers4SchoolBOX initiative!
Thanks for stopping by,
Peri

1 comment:

  1. Great blog entries, Peri. Looks like you finally have awesome snow to ski on. Great to hear how much you love Sochi.
    Congrats on your fantastic skiing in Poland.
    We are stoked for Easterns next week. Perfect conditions in place, 700 athletes signed up and three days of racing. This weekend Nakkertok will run a TEST event Saturday to prep volunteers, and test the timing equipment, Sunday an XC Ottawa Duathlon ! They'll be skiing up Peri's-way :)

    ReplyDelete